Small Intestine Channel
The acupuncture points on the Small Intestine Channel
Small Intestine Primary Channel
Pinyin: Shǒu Tài Yáng Xiǎo Cháng Jīng
Pathway for Small Intestine Primary Channel
The external pathway:
- The Small Intestine Channel of Hand Tai-Yang originates from Shaoze SI-1, at the ulnar corner of the nail of the little finger.
- From SI-1, the Primary Channel runs up along the ulnar border of the hand and reaches the wrist around Yanglao SI-6.
- It continues ascending the ulna to the medial aspect of the elbow at Xiaohai SI-8, where it passes between the olecranon of the ulna and the medial epicondyle of the humerus.
- Then it runs along the posterior aspect of the upper arm to Naoshu SI-10, at the posterior aspect of the shoulder joint. Some document says it also passes Binao LI-14 on the way.
- Zig-zagging from the inferior fossa to the superior fossa of the scapula through Tianzong SI-11 and Bingfeng SI-12, it then reaches Tianjing SI-13 at the medial aspect of the scapular spine.
- It then passes Jianwaishu SI-14, Jianzhongshu SI-15, Fufen BL-41 and Dazhu BL-11.
- It crosses Dazhui DU-14 of the Governing Vessel at the lower border of the spinous process of C7.
- Finally it goes anteriorly to the supraclavicular fossa and reaches Quepen ST-12.
The internal pathway:
- One external branch starts from Quepen ST-12 of the supraclavicular fossa, ascends along the neck and reaches Quanliao SI-18 at the cheek.
Small Intestine Divergent Channel
Pinyin: Shǒu Tài Yáng Jīng Bié
Pathway for Small Intestine Divergent Channel
- The Small Intestine divergent channel separates from the Primary Channel at Bingfeng SI-12 (or Naoshu SI-10 depends on the school of thought) at the shoulder.
- It then descends towards the axilla and reaches Yuanye GB-22, from where it travels internally afterwards.
- It then runs inside the chest and arrives at the Heart.
- Afterwards, it descends and penetrates the diaphragm and terminates by spreading in the Small Intestine.
Small Intestine Sinew Channel
Pinyin: Shǒu Tài Yáng Jīng Jīn
Pathway for Small Intestine Sinew Channel
- The Small Intestine Sinew Channel originates from Shaoze SI-1 at the ulnar aspect of the little finger.
- Ascending along the ulnar and dorsum part of the little finger and hand, it binds at the wrist at Yanggu SI-5.
- It then continues ascending along the ulnar side of the forearm and binds at Xiaohai SI-8 of the medial condyle of the humerus at the elbow.
- Ascending further along the upper arm, it bends at Jianzhen SI-9 at the posterior aspect of the axilla.
- Then it runs behind the axilla and surrounds the scapula.
- From there, it goes up the lateral aspect of the neck and binds at the mastoid process anterior to the Bladder Sinew Channel.
- Then it runs further up behind the ear, where a subbranch enters the ear.
- From there, it curves around to the top of the ear and then descends to the mandible and binds there.
- Afterwards, it ascends again to bind at the outer canthus, crossing the teeth on the way.
- Finally, it continues ascending and terminates at Benshen GB-13 at the frontoparietal aspect of the head. This is the place it meets the other Hand Yang Sinew Channels as well.
Small Intestine Luo-Connecting Vessel System
Pinyin: Shǒu Tài Yáng Luò Mài
Pathway for Small Intestine Luo-Connecting Vessel System
- The Small Intestine Luo-Connecting Vessel System separates from the Primary Channel at Zhizheng SI-7 of the forearm, where it also connects with the Heart Channel.
- It then ascends to the shoulder and terminates at Jianyu LI-15, after passing the medial condyle of the Humerus.
- Some schools of thought claim that the Channel continues by running to Quepen ST-12 in the supraclavicular fossa. Then it penetrates the chest and ends in the Heart.