Triple Burner Channel
The acupuncture points on the Triple Burner Channel
Triple Burner Primary Channel
Pinyin: Shǒu Shào Yáng Sān Jiāo Jīng
Pathway for Triple Burner Primary Channel
The external pathway:
- The Triple Burner Primary Channel starts at Guanchong TB-1 at the corner nail of the ring finger, which connects to a branch of Pericardium Primary Channel at Laogong P-8 of the palm.
- It ascends along the ulnar side of the finger and then the dorsum of the hand between the forth and fifth metacarpal bones.
- It then continues ascending the posterior aspect of the forearm between the Large and Small Intestine Channels and also between the redius and ulna.
- Passing Tianjing ST-10 at the olecranon of the ulna, it runs up further along the postero-lateral aspect of the upper arm to the shoulder.
- After traversing the shoulder, it crosses Bingfeng SI-12 in the center of the suprascapular fossa and connects with other Yang Primary Channels at Dazhui DU-14, which is below the 7th spinous process (C7).
- It then flows to the anterior aspect of the body, crosses Jianjing GB-21 and enters the supraclavicular fossa at Quepen ST-12.
The internal pathway:
- From ST-12, the Primary Channel goes internally.
- It spreads between Shanzhong REN-17 and the breast, passes the Pericardium and penetrates the diaphragm.
- It finally enters the abdomen through Zhongwan REN-12 and connects with the Upper, Middle and Lower Burner.
- According to some books, the Primary Channel continues descending to Weiyang BL-39 at the popliteal fossa. It is said to be the lower Sea-He point of the Triple Burner.
- An internal branch separates from Shanzhong REN-17, back to supraclavicular fossa, where it emerges externally again. It then ascends the neck to Tianyou TB-16 at the posterior border of the sternocleidomastoid muscle and Yifeng TB-17 behind the ear lob.
- From there, the main external sub-branch runs up further behind the ear and arrives at Jiaosun TB-20 above the ear apex. It then descends the cheek internally to the lower jaw and ascends again, arriving at Quanliao SI-18 on the lower border of zygoma. It terminates at the infraorbital region.
- From TB-17, another external subbranch enters the ear and intersects the Small Intestine Channel at Tinggong SI-19 and the Gall Bladder Channel at Shangguan GB-3. It then crosses the previous sub-branch on the cheek and terminate at Sizhukong TB-23 at the outer canthus of the eye.
Triple Burner Divergent Channel
Pinyin: Shǒu Shào Yáng Jīng Bié
Pathway for Triple Burner Divergent Channel
- The Triple Burner Divergent Channel separates from the Primary Channel from Jiaosun ST-20 above the ear apex.
- It ascends to Baihui DU-20 at the vertex.
- Then the Channel descends through the posterior aspect of the ear and the sternocleidomastoid muscle of the neck. Here it also intersects with the Triple Burner and Pericardium Primary Channel.
- Continuing descending to Quepen ST-12 in the supraclavicular fossa, it then runs through the chest, spreads in the Pericardium and finally terminates at the Upper, Middle and Lower Burners.
Triple Burner Sinew Channel
Pinyin: Shǒu Shào Yáng Jīng Jīn
Pathway for Triple Burner Sinew Channel
- The Triple Burner Sinew Channel originates at Guanchong TB-1, at the ulnar corner of the ring finger.
- Ascending the dorsum of the ring finger and the hand between the 4th and 5th metacarpal bones, it then binds at Yangchi TB-4 at wrist.
- Between the Small and Large Intestine Sinew Channels and also between the redius and ulna, it continues ascending the posterior aspect of the forearm and binds at Tianjing ST-10 at the olecranon of the ulna.
- Continuing running up the upper arm, it binds at the posterior corner of the acromion.
- It travels up further to the posterior aspect of the shoulder and then the lateral aspect of the occiput where it connects to the Small Intestine Sinew Channel.
- It finally reaches the mandibular angle and separates into two branches:
- One branch goes internally and connects to the tongue root.
- The other branch runs up in front of the ear, then binds at the outer canthus of the eye. After crossing the temple, it terminates at Benshen GB-13 in the frontoparietal region, where it connects to the other Hand Yang Sinew Channel.
Triple Burner Luo-Connecting Vessel System
Pinyin: Shǒu Shào Yáng Luò Mài
Pathway for Triple Burner Luo-Connecting Vessel System
- The Triple Burner Luo-Connecting Vessel System separates from the Primary Channel at Waiguan TB-5 which is the Channel's Luo-Connecting point.
- From there it forms a three-dimensional reticular network composed of various branches and subbranches.