This post is part of our complete guide on treating engorgement and clogged ducts. Refer back to the guide if you want a complete list of topics covered, from prevention to diagnosis and treatment. If you're specifically interested in understanding whether mastitis can clear up on its own, please read on!
Can mastitis clear up on its own?
Mastitis can clear up on its own, if you do the right things.
First and foremost you should keep breastfeeding or pumping on a steady schedule. Your mastitis is likely due to an accumulation of stagnant milk in your breasts so draining them is essential to clear up the issue. You might be tempted to breastfeed or pump less than usual because of the pain. However this is a wrong instinct as it’ll likely worsen the issue. Inversely you shouldn’t breastfeed or pump more than usual as this is a signal to your body to produce more milk than necessary, making it more likely for you to accumulate stagnant milk again in the future.
You can also consider massaging your breasts, particularly in the affected areas. Curing mastitis is very much about getting your milk to flow smoothly again and regular massages can really help achieve that.
Lastly you might also want to drink a herbal tea designed to help clear milk blockages like our very own Unblock Nursing Tea. It’s a vegan tea made with 12 plants. It’s based on an ancestral recipe used for centuries in China to help woman with milk blockages such as mastitis. We recommend you drink 3-5 cups a day until you see things improving.
If the issue doesn’t disappear on its own after a few days and particularly if your fever gets worse, go see a doctor. They’ll best be able to guide you and prescribe the appropriate medication such as antibiotics or anti-inflammatory medications.
So to summarize, can mastitis clear up on its own?
- Mastitis can clear up on its own but you need to do things right.
- You need to keep breastfeeding or pumping on a steady schedule, not more or less than usual.
- You need to massage your breasts regularly to help restore an unobstructed milk flow.
- You should consider drinking a herbal tea designed to help clear milk blockages like our very own Unblock Nursing Tea.
- If the issue doesn’t disappear on its own after a few days and particularly if your fever gets worse, go see a doctor.